Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A View from Scotchtown

The hot hazy summer of 10 has made it difficult to work on vistas here in the Hudson Valley but a favored painting place of mine is usually available during my travels and I took advantage of a clear day recently to stop and do a field sketch. The view is long here reaching across the town of Wallkill towards Warwick and beyond. I am never disappointed at this stop and have enjoyed the many moods this place provides. it is not hard to notice the change and growth around this place, but a historian does not have any trouble locating the historic hamlet which remarkably contains many of its original buildings. The historic cemetery atop this hill is a constant thru time and one can view the gravestones of some of the original settlers and sadly enough, even a few friends. I know I will return and try another day but one of the great rewards of roadside field studies is the capture of "Sense of Place" which I believe I accomplished this particular day. I am pleased to offer this "view from Scotchtown"
6x8 oil on board

No comments:

Post a Comment